Job Posting: Program and Outreach Assistant
Come work with the Sexual Health Centre Lunenburg County this summer! The Sexual Health Centre Lunenburg County (SHCLC) is a sexual health centre that offers education, programming and resources. We are a pro-choice, youth-friendly and LGBTQA2S positive organization. We believe that everyone should have access to quality, non-judgemental sexual education and resources. We provide a resources and educational services as well as a variety of free or low-cost condoms (internal and external), and pregnancy tests.
Projected position term: May 19th- July 25th (10 weeks)
Pay Rate: $11 per hour, 30 hours per week
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age at start of employment
- Must have been a registered full-time student in 13/14 academic school year, AND intending to return to school full-time in 14/15
- Independent and motivated
- Interest in and experience managing social media sites
- Interest in reproductive justice and sexual health rights
- Interest in collaborative community-based work
- Must be LGBTQ inclusive
- Access to transportation to and from site (no public transit available)
- Students in related fields preferred (Education, health, Women’s and gender studies, social work, psychology, pre-med, social sciences, human services, addiction services, etc.)
The Sexual Health Centre Lunenburg County has a commitment to anti-oppression and social justice and is an equal opportunities employer. Women, Aboriginal peoples, people of colour, people with dis/abilities, and LGBTQ people are encourage to apply.
- Represent the SHCLC at summer events and festivals in the county. Identify and register for these events.
- Plan outreach activities and ensure there are materials for the events
- Coordinate volunteers as necessary
- Identify target populations and conduct outreach to raise awareness of the SHCLC’s services and increase collaboration with organizations that serve the target population (i.e. LGBTQ people, Aboriginal peoples, persons with dis/abilities, youth, seniors).
- Conduct a needs assessment to identify gaps in sexual health services throughout the county
- Research and produce resources for the centre on topics where few resources currently exist
- Ensure that all resources are up-to-date
- Develop facilitation guides and factual toolkits for teachers who teach sexual health education
- Research funding opportunities for programs that fill the needs identified in the needs assessment.
- Assist Executive Director
- Attend meetings with the Board of Directors
- Liaise with volunteers
- Assist with educational workshops
- Learn workshop material
- Deliver and/or assist with workshop delivery
- Evaulate and report in programs
- Complete centre duties as needed
- Complete social media and website updates as needed
- Day-to-day operations including answering the phone, answering emails, etc.
- Maintain confidentiality
Please send a cover letter and resume (or whatever other information you feel is important) to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 5th, 2014. Please make the subject line “Summer Student Application”. Projected start date is May 19th, 2014. We encourage you to discuss topics or projects that interest you as an applicant in your cover letter.